About New Horizons Un-LimitedTweet
New Horizons Un-Limited was founded by Arthur Miller in December 1994. Upon attending a community meeting to discuss controversy over residential housing for individuals with disabilities, Art observed, that yet again, a key ingredient was missing from this meeting - representation from the disability community.
It was at this point that he realized the importance of enabling individuals with disabilities to take a more active role in determining their own destiny. He believed that if individuals with disabilities were given a means to communicate with one another, and most importantly, a means to access information and resources concerning the issues that affect them, they might be able to make a positive change in their own and others lives.
Thus began New Horizons Un-Limited. What started as a small website, with just a few visitors a month, has grown into a service organization, serving thousands of people impacted by disability annually via our internationally accessed website and local community initiatives.
- Information and Referral
- Personalized Consultation and Development
- Computer Grants, Computer Literacy Training, and Ongoing Technical Support
- Work Skills Training and Experiences
- A Supportive Community of Advocates, Peers, and Volunteers
- Opportunities for Socialization and Recreation
Our MissionNew Horizons Un-Limited is a non-profit organization that provides our community members with disabilities the information, tools and experiences that encourage lifelong learning and service, and enable them to become confident, contributing citizens. We believe that fulfillment can be achieved in many different ways and at every stage of life. As such, we offer a range of services to keep our community members moving forward in their lives.
Our VisionWe envision a world in which every individual with a disability is given the opportunity to find purpose and fulfillment as contributing members of society through employment and service to others.
We help individuals realize their full potential, capitalize on their strengths, and develop a sense of self worth so that they may in turn help others do the same. We are building a network of advocates, including all members of society, that believe in the power of service and community. While we face a seemingly overwhelming task, we are confident that if we come together, build each other up, and support each other, we can realize our vision – a world that values all individuals, including those of us with disabilities.
- We believe that we all have an obligation to give back, no matter where we are in life or what limitations we may have.
- We believe that access to technology is paramount for everyone.
- We believe that learning never stops.
- We believe that self-improvement is a lifelong process.
- We believe that success can come in many different forms and at any stage of life.
- We believe that success begins with valuing oneself.
- We believe in helping people who are motivated to help themselves.
- We believe that every single human being needs support from others to thrive.
- We believe in building capacity through community.
- We believe that the inclusion of people with disabilities benefit all of society.
- We believe in the value of our community members with disabilities.
- Via our internationally accessed website, New Horizons Un-Limited serves individuals with a wide range of disabilities. Visitors have included parents of children with disabilities, young and old, to independent adults that need a push in the right direction. While most visitors come from across the United States, we have welcomed visitors from South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia among other areas of the world.
- Our internationally accessed website receives more than 3 million page views from several hundred thousand visitors on an annual basis.
- Via our local services we serve individuals who, due to their physical or intellectual disabilities are the most isolated and least likely to participate in activities outside of their homes.
- Via our local services, we provide one-on-one mentoring and training, ongoing support and consultation, personalized information and referral, and access to life altering technology to dozens of motivated individuals with disabilities on an annual basis.
Who We Serve