A scene of people with various disabilities gathered around a blue lake, enjoying their home, community, the out-of-doors, health, recreation, housing, transportation and education with an accessible path for them to a high mountain and large yellow sun on the horizon.  New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.

Community and Internet Resources

Housing: Rent Assistance


HUD: Rental Assistance provides information on federal programs, including subsidized housing, public housing, and the Housing Choice Voucher program, that are available to assist low-income tenants afford safe, decent housing. Contact your local Public Housing Agency to learn more.


Florida Housing Finance Corporation offers financial assistance to families and individuals in need of housing. They offer rental assistance for homes and apartments, home-buying programs and grants and several other special assistance programs. For more information, call (850) 488-4197.


Idaho Housing and Finance Association (IHFA) administers federal rental assistance programs that help people with disabilities obtain decent, affordable rental housing. Their website offers information on the Section 8 Voucher program as well as public and subsidized housing. Their site also offers a directory of assisted housing (affordable and subsidized rentals), transitional housing and emergency shelter. For more information, call (208) 331-4882.


Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development offers a Rental Allowance Program. The Rental Allowance Program (RAP) provides monthly rent assistance for low-income families who are homeless or have an emergency housing need. The monthly payments are fixed amounts, depending upon the size of the family and the location of the rental unit. Payments can be received for up to 12 months, and may be extended under special circumstances. For more information, call (800) 756-0119 or e-mail customerservice@dhcd.state.md.us.


Community Services Agency and Development Corporation, serving Northern Nevada, offers an emergency Rental Assistance program. As funding permits, CSA offers one-time assistance to help people who are in danger of eviction. This is sometimes available as a no-interest loan. For more information call (775) 786-6023.


Neighborhood House Inc., serving individuals and families residing in Southwest Portland, offers a temporary rent assistance program to assist families pay rent to prevent homelessness. Low income families with children or disabilities are given priority. For more information, call (503) 246-1663, ext. 103.

For more on the topic of Housing:

Community and Internet Resources / Editorials / FAQ /
Guides / Books / News Publications and Media

If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, you may contact us by e-mail at: horizons@new-horizons.org or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Discussion Board, click on the links below.
Homepage icon Home  / Disability News  / NHU Quarterly Newsletter
Share Your Knowledge!  / NHU Community Discussion Board  / E-mail Us
About NHU  / Announcements and Features  / Contribute  /  What's New?  /  Site Plan

 Copyright 2003-2011, New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.  
[Updated January 31, 2011]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.