A scene of people with various disabilities gathered around a blue lake, enjoying their home, community, the out-of-doors, health, recreation, housing, transportation and education with an accessible path for them to a high mountain and large yellow sun on the horizon.  New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.

Community and Internet Resources

Independent Living: Government Agencies

State Listings:
AL / AZ / IL / KS / MA / MN / MT / SC / WI - (Official USPS State Abbreviations)

State Listings


Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services offers a range of services to Alabamans with disabilities, including Independent Living Support Services, which enhance and promote independence in the home, community and workplace. For more information, call (800) 441-7607 (Voice) or (800) 499-1816 (TTY).


Phoenix Mayor's Commission on Disability Issues has a mission to provide a forum for issues affecting people with disabilities and advise public and private entities on those issues. The commission has a variety of committees devoted to advancing disability awareness, including architectural, employment, housing, community outreach and transportation issues. Interested volunteers may serve on any committee. For more information, visit their website.


Chicago Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities offers Independent Living Skills (ILS) Workshops, which focus on educating and training people with disabilities to independently perform and manage their daily activities. ILS workshop topics include assertive behavior and effective communication training, personal attendant and homemaker management, nutrition and meal preparation. The workshops also offer peer counseling from people with disabilities who have transitioned into living independently. For more information, call (312) 744-7050 (Voice) or (312) 744-4964 (TDD).

Illinois Department of Human Services Office of Rehabilitation Services is the state of Illinois' lead agency for providing services to individuals with disabilities. Some of the services that they offer are vocational training, home services, educational services, advocacy, and information and referral. For more information, either contact your local DHS/ORS office or call the DHS toll-free information line at (800) 843-6154 (Voice/Spanish/Español) or (800) 447-6404 (TTY).


Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns (KCDC) From the Office of the Governor they provide disability-related information to the people of Kansas. Many of the key resources people access are listed on the left-hand side of their site, such as Disability Service Maps, Resources, ADA Information, Legislative Information and more. In addition, they offer a wealth of information on topics to assist people with disabilities in living as equal citizens in the state's communities. These topics are listed across the top of the page and include work, school, daily living, play, youth and disability history.


The Independent Living Center of the North Shore and Cape Ann Inc. (ILCNSCA) is a service and advocacy center run by and for people with disabilities. ILCNSCA supports the struggle of people who have all types of disabilities to live independently and participate fully in community life.

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Division: Independent Living Division offers a home care assistance program. "The Home Care Assistance Program provides homemaker services to eligible adults with disabilities who are functionally limited in meeting their own nutritional and environmental needs." Homemaking Services are defined as direct assistance with, meal preparation, grocery shopping, medication pickup, laundry and light housekeeping. To be eligible for these services, individuals must be between the ages of 18 and 59, must not be legally blind, and must live alone or with another adult with a disabling condition. For more information about this program or to learn of other assistance programs call (800) 245-6543.


Minnesota State Council on Disability is an agency that collaborates, advocates, advises and provides information to expand opportunities, increase the quality of life and empower all persons with disabilities. They offer a very informative website offering information and fact sheets on employment, building accessibility and general disability issues. Their site also features links to resources available to Minnesotans with disabilities. For more information, contact MSCOD at (800) 945-8913 (V/TTY).


Montana Disability Services Division provides a wide variety of services including institutional care, residential services, case management and home-based services to families. They are also involved with a variety of employment services including: counseling and guidance, career training, transportation, adaptive equipment, orientation and mobility services to the blind, rehabilitation teaching services to the blind, independent living services, medical services, job placement, and supported employment. The division also has the responsibility for medical adjudication of all claims for Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income. For more information, call (877) 296-1197 (Toll free).

South Carolina

South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs serves persons with mental retardation, autism, head and spinal cord injury. The Autism Division offers such services as respite services, stipends for transportation, specialized equipment, day care, etc., individualized summer services and camps, physical and occupational therapies, personal care services, homemaker services, behavioral supports and much more. The Head and Spinal Cord Injury (HASCI) Division provides home modifications, equipment and devices to facilitate greater independence and personal assistance for essential activities of daily living. The Mental Retardation Division offers day services, residential services and various family support services. For more information, call (803) 898-9600.


Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) offers a variety of programs and services for Wisconsinites with disabilities. They oversee Blind and Visually Impaired Services, Community Mental Health Services, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, Developmental Disabilities Services, and Physical Disabilities Services. They also offer an advocacy network called Disability Advocates: Wisconsin Network (DAWN). For more information, visit the DHS website.

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs offers services to visually impaired veterans. The Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST), operating out of VA Medical Centers across Wisconsin, offers a variety of skills training activities to blind and low-vision veterans. Services are designed to assist individuals adjust to the disability and to prepare for re-entry into community life. For more information, contact the VA Center nearest you: (414) 384-2000 (Milwaukee), (608) 372-3971 (Tomah), (608) 256-1901 (Madison).

For more on the topic of Independent Living:

Community and Internet Resources / FAQ / Guides / News Publications and Media

If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, you may contact us by e-mail at: horizons@new-horizons.org or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Forum, click on the links below.
Homepage icon Home  / Disability News  / NHU Quarterly Newsletter
Share Your Knowledge!  / NHU Community Forum  / Contact Us
About NHU  / Donate  /  What's New?  /  Site Plan

© Copyright 2003-2016, New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.  
[Updated September 30, 2016]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.