A scene of people with various disabilities gathered around a blue lake, enjoying their home, community, the out-of-doors, health, recreation, housing, transportation and education with an accessible path for them to a high mountain and large yellow sun on the horizon.  New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.

Community and Internet Resources

Finances: Financial Planning (Able Accounts, Trusts)

For more assistance, visit our NHU
Guides on Financial Planning
Note: NHU does not endorse any of the following service providers. These listings are meant for informational purposes only.

State Listings:   AL / CO / FL / GA / MA / MO / NY / OH / OR / PA / VA / WA / WI /   
(Official USPS State Abbreviations)


Able Act Vs. the Special Needs Trust: Which Financial Tool Is Right for Your Family?

ABLE National Resource Center has offered educational materials and videos concerning ABLE Basics and how to prepare to enroll in a program. If you are a person with a disability and want more detailed help, the benefits specialists located in Wisconsin Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) should be able to guide you once ABLE account programs are operating in other states.

Federal Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has tips on choosing an investment professional.

Mass Mutual Financial Group, via their Special Care program, takes a team approach to help ensure proper life care planning for the future of a person with a disability. Special Care Planners work with families and their professional advisors (such as social workers, accountancts, etc.) to review each family's financial picture and offer options that make sense for their unique situation. For more information, call (800) 272-2216.

National Down Syndrome Society is maintaining a list of states with ABLE programs under development. Only a few states have implemented an ABLE account program. Some states and federal government have passed legislation allowing individuals to set up their accounts through another state that has implemented their program.

Special Needs Alliance offers a brief guide to Special Needs Trusts. The brochure answers questions on payback provisions, distribution restrictions and requirements. Special Needs Alliance is a national, non-profit organization committed to helping individuals with disabilities, their families, and the professionals who represent them. Their attorneys are credentialed public benefits and disability law attorneys in the country, many of whom are themselves parents and siblings of children with disabilities. If you have questions about the Special Needs Alliance or would like to locate a member in your state, call 1-877-572-8472 or contact them through their form at the link above. You may also visit their locate an attorney page to search for legal expertise by state by seeing their website above.

Special Needs Answers, a website developed by the Academy of Special Needs Planners, provides parents access to articles, resources, and news related to special needs planning. This website also features a directory of Special Needs Lawyers as well as a Directory of Pooled Trusts by state.

New Sign Special Needs Seniors – Planning for the Future of this Vulnerable Population When an aging adult has a cognitive need, a physical concern, or a mental health concern (PTSD or dementia), adding aging to the mix can create some struggles for the older adult. This guide from one reverse mortgage.com offers many resources for financial, medical special needs concerns as well as information on the special needs trust.

Back to Top

State Listings


Alabama Family Trust provides for the establishment of a trust from which funds may be disbursed to supplement the care, support, shelter, and treatment of the designated disabled person. For more information, call (800) 711-1303 or e-mail contact@alabamafamilytrust.com.


Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities (CFPD) establishes pooled trusts on behalf of people with disabilities. Trusts help protect an individuals eligibility for federal benefit programs. Funds are utilized to provide for the supplemental needs of the person with a disability. Supplemental needs are products, goods or services not provided through any public benefit the beneficiary may be receiving. Examples are a home, durable medical goods, vacations, a vehicle, companion services and others. For more information, call (303) 733-2867.


South Florida Pooled Trust is a Special Needs Trust for persons with disabilities. By joining the South Florida Pooled Trust, persons with disabilities can save while preserving much-needed assets and still qualify for public benefit programs. For more information, call (305)759-8500.

National Special Needs Network Inc., located in Coral Springs, Florida, is overseen by Jeffrey H. Minde, an Attorney and Counselor At Law P.A. He offers a full range of services for individuals with disabilities and their families. He can assist you in establishing a Special Needs Trust. For more information, visit his website, or call (954) 345-6465.


Georgia Community Trust is the only community trust in the State of Georgia to assist families in planning to provide financial assistance to a family member with a disability. Assets transferred to the Trust and earmarked for the intended beneficiary, are not considered assets of the beneficiary for the purposes of SSI and Medicaid. Disbursements are made to improve the quality of life for the beneficiary, without affecting an individuals eligibility for government benefits. Expenditures cannot be made for basic food, clothing or shelter. For more information, call (770) 431-7070.


Special Needs Planning is a financial consulting firm specializing in planning for longterm financial security of those with disabilities. They offer individual consultation on an hourly fee basis, asset management (fees based on a percentage of assets under management) and financial plan development for a flat fee. Their website features informative articles, a financial planning checklist as well as a number of helpful resources. For more information, call (781) 893-0909 or e-mail info@specialneedsplanning.com.


Midwest Special Needs Trust offers a way for families to contribute to the care and quality of life for their loved ones without risking the loss of vital government funding, such as Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income. They also offer a Charitable Trust, which is funded through contributions and is administered by the Family Trust Trustees. This trust is used to provide benefits to indigent persons who are disabled and whose families cannot afford to establish an individual trust. Administrative fees apply. For more information, visit their website, call (888) 671-1069 or e-mail mftbt@aol.com.

Back to Top

New York

CLC Supplemental Needs Pooled Trust is dedicated to providing financial services and other forms of assistance to persons with disabilities. The CLC organization is a family of affiliates located in Mount Kisco, NY. The organization includes Community Living Corporation, Inc., a not-for-profit community residence provider serving adults who are disabled; CLC Supplemental Pooled Trust; the CLC Foundation; and CLC Transportation, Inc. Together, the agencies offer independent living opportunities, special needs services, as well as financial planning in the form of two Supplemental Needs Pooled Trusts. For more information contact the CLC Foundation, Inc., Attn: CLC Pooled Trust, 600 Bedford Road, Mount Kisco, NY 10549, Phone: (914) 241-2076, Fax: (914) 612-9177 or send E-mail to: Johnsignorelli@clcfoundation.org


Community Fund Management Foundation (CFMF) is a non-profit, organization that administers trust programs for Ohio residents with disabilities. Trust accounts can be established by persons with disabilities or their family members and friends. As the Trust Advisor, CFMF monitors the distribution of monies from each trust account so that government benefits are not jeopardized. A review committee evaluates all requests for distributions from an individual's trust to make sure that a distribution will not jeopardize government benefits that are applied for or currently being received. Distributions from a trust are made to pay for supplemental services, which are those items or services that will not be paid for by a government agency, but can enhance the quality of life for an individual with a disability. To learn how you can set up a trust account, call (216) 736-4540.


The Arc of Oregon Pooled Trust or Special Needs Trust provides a means to meet the supplemental needs of a person with a disability beyond the basic needs such as food, housing and medical care that governmental benefits such as Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid are intended to provide. Funds stored in a trust on behalf of a person with a disability may cover such items as insurance premiums, education, supplemental nursing care, eyeglasses, travel, entertainment, reading materials, vacations and telephone service, without jeopardizing an individuals eligibility for government benefits. Trusts are funded with the person's own money or with money from a friend or family member. For more information about The Arc of Oregon Pooled Trust Fund and how it can benefit you or your family member, please contact the Arc of Oregon, 1745 State Street, Salem, OR 97301 or call (877) 581-2726.

Back to Top


Arlington Heritage Group offers financial planning solutions through the Provider Trust, its irrevocable burial trust program, and special needs pooled trusts for families. Services allow disabled individuals and their caregivers the means to plan for future needs while maintaining eligibility for government benefits. The Provider Trust is offered to non-profits and residential agencies so that individuals in their care maintain eligibility without frivolous spend-down. For more information, contact the Arlington Heritage Group, Inc., 415 Horsham Road, Horsham, PA 19044, or Phone 215.672.1184, FAX 215.674.9372, or call Toll Free 888.266.6066


ABLEnow ABLEnow is a national ABLE savings program offered by the Commonwealth of Virginia. People from other states may be able to use this savings program. ABLEnow is administered by Virginia529, the country’s largest college savings plan, which now has an expanded mission to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to go to RESOURCES. Then click on DOCUMENTS to find program description detailed info on Ablenow and custodial account agreement which also has updates on prices. Review the following documents in pdf: Account fee schedule - fees associated with maintaining your ABLEnow account, ABLEnow brochure - brief intro to the benefits of an ABLE now account, Consent to electronic communications - details electronic delivery of any and all disclosures relating to your account, and Interest rate schedule - current interest rates for your ABLEnow deposit account.

Commonwealth Community Trust (CCT) was established for Virginia residents to provide a convenient and economical way to have trust funds administered for people with disabilities that will supplement the benefits offered by entitlement programs. Their mission is to enhance government programs for the lifelong special needs of the beneficiary so that he or she can live securely. Annual administrative fees apply. For more information, visit their website or call (888) 241-6039.


Washington State Developmental Disabilities Endowment Trust Fund, developed by the state legislature, provides an attractive and convenient way to save for the future of your loved one with a developmental disability. The fund protects beneficiaries’ eligibility for public benefits, such as Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid. The state will also provide up to $7,750 in matching funds per beneficiary, by providing a 25 percent match on private contributions. For more information, call the Arc of Washington State at (888) 754-8798.


Life Navigators, via their Trust Program, offers a feasible way for people with developmental disabilities and their families to save money without jeopordizing their government benefits. Funds can be used for many different reasons, including, buying a home, taking a vacation, purchasing equipment, or to pay for in-home assistance, among others. To learn more, call ARC Milwaukee at (414) 774-6255.

Wisconsin Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) If you are a person with a disability and want more detailed help, the benefits specialists located at the Wisconsin ADRC should be able to guide you now ABLE account programs are operating in other states.

WisPACT (Wisconsin Pooled and Community Trusts) provides for the special needs of persons with disabilities without endangering their eligibility for public benefits or placement on waiting lists. Their website offers a very helpful FAQ section. For more information, visit their website or call (608) 268-6006.

Back to Top

For more on the topic of Finances:

Community and Internet Resources / FAQ / Guides / Books / News Publications and Media

If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, you may contact us by e-mail at: horizons@new-horizons.org or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Forum, click on the links below.
Homepage icon Home  / Disability News  / NHU Quarterly Newsletter
Share Your Knowledge!  / NHU Community Forum  / Contact Us
About NHU  / Donate  /  What's New?  /  Site Plan

© Copyright 2005-2018 New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.  
[Updated August 31, 2018]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.