New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.
Community and Internet Resources
Ever Widening Circle is an entertainment festival sponsored by the World Institute on Disability and the Corporation on Disabilities and Telecommunication. The event features professional performers with disabilities. Talents include music, dance, comedy and many others. For more information, call the event hotline at (510) 251-4370 (Voice), (510) 208-9493 (TTY).
Festa Italiana, held the third weekend of July, is one of several lakefront festivals held throughout the summer months on Milwaukee's Summerfest Grounds. Festa Italiana offers people of all backgrounds a taste of Italian culture, cuisine and entertainment. Festa has designated opening day as VIP Day, a day in which people with disabilities, their family members and / or caregivers can enter the grounds for free between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. For more information, call (414) 223-2193.
Milwaukee Summerfest is the music and entertainment festival of the summer. Following are just a few of the accessible features that Summerfest has to offer their patrons with disabilities:
- Alternative format informational brochures (including large print, Braille and audio) are available throughout the festival grounds.
- The National Spinal Cord Injury Association Respite Pavilion, a smoke free facility, located behind the Miller Oasis, is specifically designed for the comfort of those with disabilities. The pavilion includes fully accessible restroom facilities, an air-conditioned rest area, storage lockers, oxygen storage and a microwave for dialysis patients.
- Family Restrooms offer large, private, unisex restroom facilities for families and patrons with disabilities and their companions.
- Sign Language Interpreters are provided for specific performances upon request a minimum of two weeks in advance. A full-time sign language interpreter is also available through any information booth on the grounds.
- Accessible public telephones are located outside of each restroom area. A TTY phone is available behind the Harley-Davidson Roadhouse next to the First Aid building.
Located on Henry Maier Festival Park, on Lake Michigan in downtown Milwaukee, Summerfest (June 26th - July 6th) is continuously striving to make the grounds barrier-free and wheelchair accessible. They welcome your comments! You can reach them by calling (414) 273-2680 (voice), or by e-mailing email@example.com.
For more on the topic of Recreation:
Community and Internet Resources / FAQ / News Publications and Media
If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, you may contact us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Discussion Board, click on the links below.
© Copyright 2002, New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.
[Updated December 31, 2002]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.